OPENING DATE: 9/14/2021
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 9/30/2021 at 3:30 p.m.
STARTING SALARY: $5,735/month or $68,883/year
To be considered for the position, an applicant must submit all the following items in their application packet:
- South Metro Fire Department Application
- Cover letter
- Supplemental questionnaire (included on application) and required documentation
*Incomplete application packets will be disqualified from further consideration for this process.
All items to be submitted can be mailed to or dropped off at the South Metro Fire Department, 1650 Humboldt Ave., West St. Paul, MN 55118 or emailed to email@example.com . All submissions must be received by 3:30 p.m. on September 30, 2021. An applications and a copy of this posting are available below:
* Please download the application and open with Adobe Acrobat reader prior completing the application document.
A valid email address must be provided by all applicants. The email address supplied by the applicant will be used for all correspondence related to this hiring process.
Questions on this hiring process should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
Firefighters are responsible for a variety of functions within the communities of South St. Paul and West St. Paul. These responsibilities may include the provision of medical care and transportation of the sick and injured; protection of life and property from the hazards of fire, disasters, and other types of emergencies; performance of life safety fire inspections; and providing public safety education.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Respond to emergency medical and rescue calls to assess the nature and extent of illness and injury and to provide appropriate patient care, including BLS ambulance transports.
- Respond to fire and emergency calls as directed. Wearing of appropriate protective gear and equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). The firefighter must possess the ability to enter buildings with hose and operate nozzles, hand fire extinguishers, and related equipment. Raise, lower, and climb ladders, as necessary. Operate pumpers, ladder trucks, and other equipment. Evacuate/remove occupants from fire conditions or other hazardous environments and render first aid, as necessary.
- Respond to emergency callbacks and requests to maintain minimum staffing levels when off duty.
- Perform general maintenance on department vehicles and equipment and maintain appropriate maintenance records.
- Maintain facilities and perform housekeeping duties as directed.
- Participate in inspection and prevention work and pre-fire planning of buildings. Participate in public education programs, demonstrations, and presentations.
- Work under the direction and supervision of a superior officer. In emergency situations the work may involve considerable personal danger. Must act without continuous supervision and exercise independent discretion. Perform duties in a skillful manner, using sound judgment, based on accepted firefighting practices.
- Work and live for extended periods of time with people of diverse backgrounds in a manner that fosters teamwork, acceptance, and dignity of fellow employees. Maintain work habits, personal manners, and personal appearance.
- Effectively carry out the policies and goals of the South Metro Fire Department.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Need to have excellent driving skills
- Be able to reach and extend hands and arms in any direction
- Be able to ascend and descend stairs and ladders while carrying heavy loads
- Be able to balance and possess the ability to steady oneself and keep from falling when walking, standing, crouching, crawling on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces
- Be able to climb up and on the top of the fire truck and balance self
- Be able to lift or carry equipment from floor to overhead
- Be able to walk and crawl while carrying or lifting
- Be able to push/pull objects using total body movements
- Be able to walk long distances
- Need good grip strength with gloves to handle tools requiring torqueing, pounding, and jerky motions with hands
- Be able to move around with weighted gear and a variety of weighted equipment or an injured person
- Have general mechanical ability/knowledge of engines
- Need good visual acuity to read gauges
- Need good auditory and comprehension skills to follow directions
- Need good verbal skills to relay information
- Need quick reflexes
- Not be claustrophobic or have a fear of heights
- Be able to work under stress/pressure
- Be able to assist in carrying and lifting a stretcher with a patient
- Be cardio vascularly fit for rapid stair climbing and other situational needs
- Infectious diseases, needles, body fluids, blood borne pathogens
- Lung/skin irritants
- Confined spaces
- In and around burning and smoke-filled structures
- Varied outside/inside temperatures
- Unprotected heights
- Around mechanical, chemical, and electrical hazards
- High noise environment
- Around moving objects and people
- Wet, damp, and slippery surfaces
- Uneven surfaces
- At least 18 years of age
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- A valid and current driver’s license
- Current NREMT certification or MN EMT certification, with the ability to obtain NREMT certification within one year of hire date
- Current MFSCB, IFSAC or ProBoard Accredited Firefighter II certification or DOD equivalent. If submitting the DOD equivalent candidate must obtain MFSCB Firefighter II certification within one year of hire date
- Current licensed Firefighter in the State of Minnesota or the ability to become a licensed Firefighter in the State of Minnesota within one year of hire date.
- Minimum of one-year EMS experience with BLS/ALS transport service
- Experience as a full-time or paid on call Firefighter
- NFPA 1072 certification
- Current Paramedic certification
- Bi-lingual, Spanish speaking preferred
Application and Resume Review
Applicants will be notified by email on or before October 5, 2021 if they meet the minimum qualifications and are eligible to continue with the hiring process.
October 12-15, 2021
*Individual Dates and Times will be determined at a later date.
November 1-5, 2021
*Individual Dates and Times will be determined at a later date.
Ladder climb, background investigation, psychological and physical exams/physical ability will be scheduled after conditional job offer.
All items to be submitted can be mailed to or dropped off at the South Metro Fire Department, 1650
Humboldt Ave., West St. Paul, MN 55118 or emailed to email@example.com. All submissions must be
received by 3:30 p.m. on September 30, 2021.
South Metro Fire does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. EOE/AA