$68,822 – $86,028 a Year
To Apply Please Click Here.
*CANDIDATES WITH PREVIOUS FULL TIME FIREFIGHTER EXPERIENCE ARE ELIGIBLE TO EARN PAY AND BENEFITS COMMENSURATE WITH THEIR YEARS OF EXPERIENCE.
This Application Process Does Not Close. Interested Applicants May Apply at any Time.
- The first step in the process is to submit an application online.
- After applications are verified, South Metro will request a copy of an applicants EMT and Firefighter II certifications.
- South Metro will send applicants whose certifications where verified a video interview link. The video interview consists of six questions. Applicants will have three minutes to respond to each question.
- Applicants that pass the video interview will remain in our hiring pipeline for one year. After a year an applicant will be removed from the pipeline. However, the applicant can reapply immediately.
- In person interviews will be conducted throughout the year when South Metro has an opening to fill. Candidates that passed the video interview are eligible for the in person interview.
- At least 18 years of age
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- A valid and current driver’s license
- Current NREMT certification or MN EMT certification, if you are only MN certified must obtain NREMT within one year from date of hire.
- Current MFSCB, IFSAC or ProBoard Accredited Firefighter II certification.
- Minimum of one-year EMS experience with BLS/ALS transport service
- Experience as a full-time or paid on call Firefighter
- NFPA 1072 certification
- Current Paramedic certification
- Bi-lingual, Spanish speaking preferred
Primary Objective of Position:
Firefighters are responsible for a variety of functions within the communities of South St. Paul and West St. Paul. These responsibilities may include the provision of medical care and transportation of the sick and injured; protection of life and property from the hazards of fire, disasters, and other types of emergencies; performance of life safety fire inspections; and providing public safety education.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Respond to emergency medical and rescue calls to assess the nature and extent of illness and injury and to provide appropriate patient care, including BLS ambulance transports.
- Respond to fire and emergency calls as directed. Wearing of appropriate protective gear and equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). The firefighter must possess the ability to enter buildings with hose and operate nozzles, hand fire extinguishers, and related equipment. Raise, lower, and climb ladders, as necessary. Operate pumpers, ladder trucks, and other equipment. Evacuate/remove occupants from fire conditions or other hazardous environments and render first aid, as necessary.
- Respond to emergency callbacks and requests to maintain minimum staffing levels when off duty.
- Perform general maintenance on department vehicles and equipment and maintain appropriate maintenance records.
- Maintain facilities and perform housekeeping duties as directed.
- Participate in inspection and prevention work and pre-fire planning of buildings. Participate in public education programs, demonstrations, and presentations.
- Work under the direction and supervision of a superior officer. In emergency situations the work may involve considerable personal danger. Must act without continuous supervision and exercise independent discretion. Perform duties in a skillful manner, using sound judgment, based on accepted firefighting practices.
- Work and live for extended periods of time with people of diverse backgrounds in a manner that fosters teamwork, acceptance, and dignity of fellow employees. Maintain work habits, personal manners, and personal appearance.
- Effectively carry out the policies and goals of the South Metro Fire Department.
- Need to have excellent driving skills
- Be able to reach and extend hands and arms in any direction
- Be able to ascend and descend stairs and ladders while carrying heavy loads
- Be able to balance and possess the ability to steady oneself and keep from falling when walking, standing, crouching, crawling on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces
- Be able to climb up and on the top of the fire truck and balance self
- Be able to lift or carry equipment from floor to overhead
- Be able to walk and crawl while carrying or lifting
- Be able to push/pull objects using total body movements
- Be able to walk long distances
- Need good grip strength with gloves to handle tools requiring torqueing, pounding, and jerky motions with hands
- Be able to move around with weighted gear and a variety of weighted equipment or an injured person
- Have general mechanical ability/knowledge of engines
- Need good visual acuity to read gauges
- Need good auditory and comprehension skills to follow directions
- Need good verbal skills to relay information
- Need quick reflexes
- Not be claustrophobic or have a fear of heights
- Be able to work under stress/pressure
- Be able to assist in carrying and lifting a stretcher with a patient
- Be cardio vascularly fit for rapid stair climbing and other situational needs
- Infectious diseases, needles, body fluids, blood borne pathogens
- Lung/skin irritants
- Confined spaces
- In and around burning and smoke-filled structures
- Varied outside/inside temperatures
- Unprotected heights
- Around mechanical, chemical, and electrical hazards
- High noise environment
- Around moving objects and people
- Wet, damp, and slippery surfaces
- Uneven surfaces
To Apply Click Here
South Metro Fire does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. EOE/AA