FIREFIGHTER OPENING - 2018
The application period for our current hiring process ended on August 29, 2018. Applicants will be notified via email of their status and the details of the next steps in the process.
CLOSED: 8/29/2018 at 4:00 p.m.
STARTING SALARY: $4,415.82/month
The South Metro Fire Department is now accepting applications for the position of full-time Firefighter/EMT to create an eligibility list. To be considered for the position, an applicant must submit all of the following items in their application packet:
- South Metro Fire Department Application
- Cover letter
- Copies of the following documents:
- Current MREMT certification or current MN EMT certification
- IFSAC or ProBoard accredited Firefighter II certification or DOD equivalent
- Current State of Minnesota Firefighter license (if licensed)
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Operations level certification or DOD equivalent (if completed)
*Incomplete application packets will be disqualified from further consideration for this process.
All items to be submitted can be mailed to or dropped off at the South Metro Fire Department, 1650 Humboldt Ave., West St. Paul, MN 55118 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org . All submissions must be received by 4:00 p.m. on August 29, 2018. Applications and a copy of this posting can be downloaded here:
* Please download the application and open with Adobe Acrobat reader prior completing the application document.
A valid email address must be provided by all applicants. The email address supplied by the applicant will be used for all correspondences related to this hiring process.
Questions on this hiring process should be emailed to email@example.com
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Possession of a valid and current driver’s license.
- Current NREMT certification or MN EMT certification, with the ability to obtain NREMT certification within one year of hire date.
- Current MFSCB, IFSAC or ProBoard Accredited Firefighter II certification or DOD equivalent with the ability to obtain MFSCB Firefighter II certification within one year of hire date.
- Current licensed Firefighter in the State of Minnesota or the ability to become a licensed Firefighter in the State of Minnesota, when hired.
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Operations level certification or DOD equivalent. Applicants may apply without certification, but MUST obtain prior to hire.
- Two years experience as a structural firefighter on a paid on-call fire department, or one year experience as a career structural firefighter.
- Minimum of one year EMS experience with BLS/ALS transport service
- Current Paramedic certification
- Bi-lingual, Spanish speaking preferred
- A.A. Degree in a fire service field
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
Firefighters are responsible for a variety of functions within the communities of South St. Paul and West St. Paul. These responsibilities may include the provision of medical care and transportation of the sick and injured; protection of life and property from the hazards of fire, disasters, and other types of emergencies; performance of life safety fire inspections; and providing public safety education.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Respond to emergency medical and rescue calls to assess the nature and extent of illness and injury and to provide appropriate patient care, including BLS ambulance transports.
- Respond to fire and emergency calls as directed. Wearing of appropriate protective gear and equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). The firefighter must possess the ability to enter buildings with hose and operate nozzles, hand fire extinguishers, and related equipment. Raise, lower and climb ladders as necessary. Operate pumpers, ladder trucks, and other equipment. Evacuate/remove occupants from fire conditions or other hazardous environments, and render first aid as necessary.
- Respond to emergency callbacks and requests to maintain minimum staffing levels when off duty.
- Perform general maintenance on department vehicles and equipment and maintain appropriate maintenance records.
- Maintain facilities and perform housekeeping duties as directed.
- Participate in inspection and prevention work and pre-fire planning of buildings. Participate in public education programs, demonstrations and presentations.
- Work under the direction and supervision of a superior officer. In emergency situations work may involve considerable personal danger. Must act without continuous supervision and exercise independent discretion. Perform duties in a skillful manner, using sound judgment, based on accepted firefighting practices.
- Work and live for extended periods of time with people of diverse backgrounds in a manner that fosters teamwork, acceptance, and dignity of fellow employees. Maintain work habits, personal manners and personal appearance.
- Effectively carry out the policies and goals of the South Metro Fire Department.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Need to have excellent driving skills
- Be able to reach and extend hands and arms in any direction
- Be able to ascend and descend stairs and ladders while carrying heavy loads
- Be able to balance and possess the ability to steady oneself and keep from falling when walking, standing, crouching, crawling on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces
- Be able to climb up and on the top of the fire truck and balance self
- Be able to lift or carry equipment from floor to overhead
- Be able to walk and crawl while carrying or lifting
- Be able to push/pull objects using total body movements
- Be able to walk long distances
- Need good grip strength with gloves to handle tools requiring torqueing, pounding, and jerky motions with hands
- Be able to move around with weighted gear and a variety of weighted equipment or an injured person
- Have general mechanical ability/knowledge of engines
- Need good visual acuity to read gauges
- Need good auditory and comprehension skills to follow directions
- Need good verbal skills to relay information
- Need quick reflexes
- Not be claustrophobic or have a fear of heights
- Be able to work under stress/pressure
- Be able to assist in carrying and lifting a stretcher with a patient
- Be cardiovascularly fit for rapid stair climbing and other situational needs
- Infectious diseases, needles, body fluids, blood borne pathogens
- Lung/skin irritants
- Confined spaces
- In and around burning and smoke-filled structures
- Varied outside/inside temperatures
- Unprotected heights
- Around mechanical, chemical, and electrical hazards
- High noise environment
- Around moving objects and people
- Wet, damp and slippery surfaces
- Uneven surfaces
Application and Resume Review
Applicants will be notified by email on or before August 31, 2018 if they meet the minimum qualifications and are eligible to continue with the hiring process.
September 5, 2018, 6:00 p.m. at
Dakota Lodge at Thompson Park
1200 Stassen Ln.
West St. Paul, MN 55118
*Must bring valid Driver’s License for proof of identification for entry into test.
First Interview and EMS Evaluation of Top Ranked Applicants
September 26-28, 2018
*Individual Dates and Times will be determined at a later date.
Physical Ability Test
Practice Session October 1, 2018 (weather dependent)
Test October 19, 2018 (weather dependent)
Second Interview of Top Ranked Applicants
October 22-23, 2018
*Individual Dates and Times will be determined at a later date.
Other Testing as Appropriate